A Short History
In the hilly country of the Pennines, trade between centres of population depended on the packhorse. A map of 1772 shows a network of packhorse routes in Yorkshire and Lancashire. One such route was the road which passes Coldwell en route from Colne to Halifax, known as The King’s Highway. The road, or track as it was then, was marked at intervals by wayside stones or crosses, where the carriers and their animals could find shelter, food and rest. Ponies carrying cloth from the handloom weavers of Lancashire to the textile markets of the West Riding would pause before tackling the rough moorland track ahead of them. Originally, a templar cross (one with four arms) stood on the south gable marking the building as a place of refuge and hospitality. With the eventual demise of the pack horse as a means of transport the Inn at Coldwell became an ordinary public house.